forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pagination in forrest 0.7
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:59:41 GMT
Rasik Pandey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to automatically split a "document"
> into multiple pages based upon the number of "section"s in a
> "document" and have this reflected in the menu, or better yet have a
> page navigation header+footer around the body content.

I'm not entirley sure what you mean, do you mean. There is no concept of
pages (as in page 1, 2 and 3) in HTML documents. There is a page break
feature in 0.7 that allows page breaks to be inserted into PDF
documents, these can also be used in HTML documents, but again this only
  makes sense if you are printing.

See http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/faq.html#pageBreaks

If you mean having one document create x separate pages in the web site
then you will need to create a custom skin and do your pagination in there.

With respect to your "page navigation header+footer around the body
content" do you mean a table of contents? See
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/your-project.html for an example?

Forrest can generate a TOC to any depth of headings and can be placed at
the top of a document as in the above example or in the menu on the
left. See skinconf.xml for how to configure the TOC.

By customising the skin you could make it appear elsewhere (like in the
footer as well).

Ross