forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can I have two 'views' of a site?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:06:16 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 14:50 -0400, Paterline, David L. wrote:
>
>>Hello -
>>
>>I'm a new user of Forrest, and am investigating its use as an interface for
>>our online computer code documentation. Unfortunately, we will need two
>>different 'views' of the site - one for internal users and a second, more
>>restricted version for external users.
>>
>>Simply put, there will be some information (some links) which we only wish
>>to show to our internal users.
>>
>>I'm hoping to be able to generate these two views without duplicating
>>information, to minimize maintenance cost and errors.
>>
>>So, my question is, can I somehow mark certain portions of the information,
>>then do two builds - one for internal, with "include=all" and one for
>>external with "exclude=somestuff"?
>>

> I am answering you because you said you are in the process of evaluating
> forrest. What I am going to write is *not* fully included in the 0.7
> release (it is in the whiteboard) but will hopefully go officially into
> 0.8.

Please, please, please can you provide an example or a brief document
for this when you get the time. I have a use case that I would like to
address in the next couple of weeks and was going to go with the two
site.xml files and a request parameter to select between them. Since the
site is views based I'd like to try out this new method.

Ross