forrest-user mailing list archives

From Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schae...@uidesign.de>
Subject Re: Can I have two 'views' of a site?
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2005 06:29:42 GMT

Paterline, David L. schrieb:
> Hello -
>
> I'm a new user of Forrest, and am investigating its use as an interface for
> our online computer code documentation. Unfortunately, we will need two
> different 'views' of the site - one for internal users and a second, more
> restricted version for external users.

We came across a similar situation, too.
Publishing for two (or more) different
audiences.

Our "solution" has been to use different
project-specific sitemaps that tailor the
information passed on for each audience.
I guess this may be done with a plugin as
well.

You will have to mark the parts that you
want to remove in some way. We have an
internal DTD which contains the necessary
semantic information (e.g. about versions).

I admitt this is a sub-optimal solution
but it uses the very same XML sources.

Hope this helps and points you in the right
direction.

Johannes

> Simply put, there will be some information (some links) which we only wish
> to show to our internal users.
>
> I'm hoping to be able to generate these two views without duplicating
> information, to minimize maintenance cost and errors.
>
> So, my question is, can I somehow mark certain portions of the information,
> then do two builds - one for internal, with "include=all" and one for
> external with "exclude=somestuff"?
>
> Pointers to existing information or any other advice will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -
> David L. Paterline
> Principal Engineer
> Westinghouse Electric Company
> Nuclear Fuel Engineering
> Engineering Computing
> paterldl@westinghouse.com
> PH: 412-374-2286
> FX: 412-374-2284

Ludwigsburg
Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

Burmester
www.user-interface-tuning.de