forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need help getting DocBook working
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:58:55 GMT
Addi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Addi wrote:

>>> Well, I modified the sitemap and it didn't like the change.  I now
>>> get nothing with this:
>>>    <map:pipelines>
>>>      <map:pipeline>
>>>       <map:match pattern="**wp.xml">
>>>        <map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}{1}wp.xml"/>
>>>        <map:transform
>>>
>>> src="file:///C:/xsl/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.68.1/xhtml/docbook.xsl"/>
>>>        <map:transform src="{forrest:stylesheets}/html2document.xsl" />
>>>        <map:serialize type="xml"/>
>>>       </map:match>
>>>      </map:pipeline>
>>>    </map:pipelines>

>> Comment out the second transform, what do you see when requesting
>> "***wp.xml"
>

> Did this and requesting **wp.xml with the first transform gives me de
> nada - blank, skinned page.

If the page is skinned then you did not request **wp.xml, you must have
requested **wp.html. We need to verify that you are getting the docbook
file as html then we need to work out why it is not succsefully being
converted to an xdoc.

>> There is currently a bug in html2document that results in no content
>> being displayed under certain conditions -
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-394
>

> I looked at this but I don't grasp it all enough for it to give me any
> insight.

I think what is happening is that the HTML produced by your docbook xsl
is not being processed by the html2document.xsl because of the above
bug. Once you can see your html output from the first phase we can
confirm that this is/is not the case and proceed to solve the problem.

> BTW, related but aside, I finally talked to Corel Priority WordPerfect
> support and they agreed that they have a typo in their output but it is
> hardcoded in the app so I can't hack it.

>  So I will need to edit each WP "publish to XML" file and add
> the missing slash.  (I sense a script coming on...)  I'm not sure if
> this is really worth patching Forrest for since WP use is probably
> pretty limited.

There is another alternative that may interest you, although it requires
a little work. Recently I needed to include MS Word documents in a
Forrest site. These documents were constantly being edited so it was not
really an option to manually save them each time (often they were edited
outside of the organsiation so there was no control over the save format).

The solution I came up with is a plugin that uses OpenOffice to convert
the MS Word documents to OOo documents, then we use the OOo plugin to
include them in the Forrest site. You could do the same thing for your
WP documents.

The only problem is only OOo v2 has WP support so some changes to the
generator may be needed to get the interaction with OOoV2 going.

The benefit is that you don't have to manually save files in an external
format and you don't need to work around the docbook Doctype bug in WP.

The plugin is not available via Apache because the license of some of
the libs is not compatible. However, I can make it available to you if
you want me to. I intend to publish it soon, I just haven't got around
to it yet.

Ross