forrest-user mailing list archives

From Claudia K├Ânnecke <claudia.koenne...@verit.de>
Subject Re: Forrest Example Sites
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:05:55 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> I really like your skin design. The clear typographically structuring
> of the menus, the use of color and the placement of logos and
> background image would make it very useful for commercial and private
> sites.
>
> Would you consider donating it to our skin pool? Or short of that share
> the code so that others can copy bits and pieces of it?

Hi Ferdinand!

First of all thanks for the praise - we feel flattered :)

We see no problem in sharing our skin-code, but beware - we had to bend
some rules in certain areas (e.g. changing stuff in skins/common/xslt)
to achieve what we wanted. There possibly are ways to prevent these
changes (especially in the 0.7 codebase - which we haven't looked at yet).

We started the website in December 2004 where documentation was rather
sparse and spent a lot of time learning things the hard way so possibly
not all of our solutions are 'by the book'.

Our skin is based on the 'pelt' skin codebase which was mercilessly
ripped apart where we felt the need to do so. We dropped support for
things we didn't need (e.g. project/group logos, collapseable menues,
etc.) and changed the layout of the top-strip.

So if this hasn't scared you yet, please contact us on how we may give
back to the community.

Regards,

Claudia