forrest-user mailing list archives

From Petr Pošík <po...@labe.felk.cvut.cz>
Subject RE: user@forrest.apache.org forrest 0.7 automatic plug-in download problem
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:07:38 GMT
> One of the reasons for having plugins is to minimise the
> download size and install footprint of Forrest. Furthermore,
> some plugins are not hosted by Forrest as they are license
> incompatible with the ASF license.
> Therefore, we cannot bundle them with Forrest.

Oh, I see, I understand that completely.

> What we could do is create a separate bundle of all the ASF
> plugins so that you could download them in one go. Would this help?

Yes, I think this would be very helpful.

> With respect to "users without Internet connections", I'm not
> sure what you mean here, if they don't have an Internet
> connection they can't get Forrest anyway (unless someone
> burns a CD for them, in which case the above plugin bundle
> will do the job).

:-) With "users without internet connection" I mean such people which are
able to download the forrest instalation archive, but then turn off the
connection or leave their workplace to create their own personal almost
static sites at home. They unzip downloaded archive and ... "wow, it does
not work. Oh, it seems I had to be connected to the internet. OK, forrest is
not the right product for me because I want to work with it at home, in my
sparetime. OK, I will search another similar tool which allows me to do
so..."

So, yes, as for me the plugin bundle would be very helpful. Just to have
it... ready to run.

Thanks for the immediate responses... developers of other applications are
not usually so fast!  :-))

Best regards,

Petr Posik