forrest-user mailing list archives

From "J. Hereth Correia" <h...@math.tu-dresden.de>
Subject Problems with menus and menuitems in one menu
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:47:49 GMT
Hi,

as this my first mail to the mailing list, a short introduction: Looking
for a good tool for my new homepage I came across forrest and liked both
the basic idea (similar to xweb (xweb.sourceforge.net) which I
considered before) and the quite advanced features. Using forrest 0.5.1
I created a first website which I used until recently. When asked to
create a website for a software project (conexp.sf.net, nothing there
yet) I found that some details of the configuration changed from 0.5.1
to 0.6. Noticing further that more changes are to come with the step
from 0.6 to 0.7 I decided to try 0.7-dev. If any of my problems stem
from using the development verstion, please tell me so. However, I was
not able to find any bug report or todo item concerning the difficulties
I encountered (then again, I am probably looking for the wrong
keywords). For testing I use the pelt skin, another one derived from
pelt.

I have some practical experience with Java, XML/XSLT and CSS. However,
as forrest brings all of those together I find it difficult to find out
where exactly the issue I want to solve comes from. Any hints on good
tools to track down CSS and XSLT issues are welcome.

Here the problem: (menus and menu-entries in the same menu)

A sketch of my site.xml:

<site tab="">
   <subcat label="Subcat" href="subcat/">
     <entry1 label="Entry1" href="entry1.html" tab="subcat"/>
     <entry2 label="Entry2" href="entry2.html" tab="subcat"/>
   </subcat>
   <contact label="Contact" href=""/>
</site>

Using a tabs.xml like
<tabs>
  <tab id="" label="Main" dir=""/>
  <tab id="subcat" label="Subcat" dir="subcat"/>
</tabs>

What I expected were two menus like this:
Home+
    |-Subcat
    +Contact

(with "Subcat" and "Contact" being clickable, changing two the
corresponding subcategory/contact page) and

Subcat+
      |-Entry1
      +Entry2

However, I get

Home+
    |-Subcat+
            |-Entry1
            +-Entry2

(having Subcat as a dynamic menu, but not linked to the subcategory) and

Subcat+
      +-Subcat+
              |-Entry1
              +-Entry2

(duplicating unnecessarily the "Subcat" label).

Can please anyone tell me how to change the menus?

Thanks in advance,

heco

PS: Another problem were the <credits>-Tags. Not having them,
common/skinconf.xsl inserted a credit for Apache Forrest. However, the
comment in skinconf.xml says "Comment out the whole <credit>-element if
you want no credits in the web pages".

--
J. Hereth Correia <heco@math.tu-dresden.de>
Dresden University of Technology, Institute for Algebra