forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: View documentation
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:28:08 GMT
On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 18:07 +0200, Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> Ross Gardler a écrit :
>
> > Tim Williams wrote:
> >
> >> Try this out...
> >> http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/howto/howto-view-install.html
> >

> > It should be noted that we do not currently encourage users to use
> > views. They work and some of the devs have started using them in a
> > production environment, but they are alpha quality at this stage. That
> > is qhy they are in the whiteboard.
> >
> Thank you Ross for this comment, I was wandering if I had to migrate to
> views or to continue - for a while - with my own skin.
> I am going to continue like this and see what happens with views...

Hmm, I never answered on the comment of Ross, but IMO we *should*
encourage user to use views even if they are alpha.

Yes it is dev stuff and yes it is in the whiteboard because the
underlying design will change.

Now to the biggest *but* why user should/can use views:
- the view format (*.fv) is quite constant and will be backward
compatible in the future.
- the contract template are as well quite stable

The main point is what just happened:
"I am going to continue like this and see what happens with views"
That is in the long run the dead of views! I and we need feedback of
*user* about views. I need somebody like you, Cyriaque, a dev and
on-the-best-way-to-committer that can help with design decisions and
testing.

Anyway, views are here to stay and are the future of forrest. That said
IMO it is better to change right now to views and help developing them.
Skin developing is similar to view development but skins are a dead end.

Be part of forrest, use views now. ;-)

WARNING: Views are under development and are considered unstable.

salu2
thorsten
--
thorsten