forrest-user mailing list archives

From Addi_Be...@ao.uscourts.gov
Subject Idiot's guide
Date Tue, 17 May 2005 18:19:36 GMT
Hello all,

I have just found Forrest.  I am a total newbie with XML and any kind of
program of this nature.  Forrest looks like an excellent tool for my
needs.  I had been playing with writing in docbook in Oxygen, but this
seems much simpler for my needs - once I figure out how to use it.

I have found that the documentation is not very good for a total noob like
me.  There are certain assumptions made and gaps that I have had to work
through.  I really do like the concept of this project though so I have
been patiently screwing stuff up and fixing it to get the hang of it all.
I've started taking notes on the things that I messed up or felt the need
to guess. I would like to either create or contribute to an existing
beginners documentation that is really down on the level of an idiot's
guide, step-by-step (like "Where should I unzip the file?" - I knew this,
but you get the idea).  One of my problems was that in setting the
environment variables I just copied and pasted what was there on the web
page(%PATH%;%FORREST_HOME%\bin) for the PATH setting and so I overwrote
all the stuff that was in my path already.  I had to go back and manually
fix my path variable (and lord knows if I got everything).  I am much more
knowledgeable about html, css and php then I am about the windows OS.  I
think there are more and more people who are looking for tools to help
them and are willing to invest some time to figure it out - if they have a
clear guide and can ascertain whether or not they can figure it out in a
reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, I am willing to help with newbie documentation in any way you see
useful.  Please let me know where to go, who to get in touch with.

Thanks
Addi