forrest-user mailing list archives

From Sjur Moshagen <sju...@mac.com>
Subject i18n: menu or doc, but not both! (and no language override menu)
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 17:26:19 GMT
Hello,

I've been silent for a long time - sorry for not giving any feedback
sooner!

We have now tested the i18n features with the latest svn version (of
today), and the behaviour we find is a little strange. Here's what
we've done, and the result:

- made a new dir
- fresh forrest seed
- turned forrest.i18n on
- added index.sme.xml and index.no.xml to .../xdocs/
- added menu_sme.xml (menu_no.xml is part of the distro)

The outcome:

$ forrest run

In the browser:

localhost:8888/index.html
-> Norwegian menu, default (English) page (Norwegian locale from the
browser)

localhost:8888/index.html?locale=sme
-> English menu, North Sámi (sme) page

localhost:8888/index.html?locale=no
-> English menu, Norwegian page

That is, it is not possible to override the menu locale, only the
document locale. When the menu locale is not taken from the browser
(because of a URL override), it falls back to the default.

That is, it is almost impossible to get the document and menu locales
to match:-(

On the *very* positive side, Forrest does not any more (=since last
time we tested) return a 404 when it can't find a specified locale.

Also, when i18n is turned on, we would expect a language override
menu to be generated, but see none. What is needed to get one?

Thanks for the great work on Forrest, we're looking forward to the
0.7 release:-)

Best regards,
Sjur