forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: How to adjust width of menu page for long labels
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 20:14:35 GMT

myself wrote:

>> Thanks. I found these too. First problem is that while I can change
>> the width using EditCSS online, inserting a custom CSS with a higher
>> width will not change the looks of the page.
>>
>> Second problem is that you also need to move the rounded corners and I
>> haven't figured out how they are positioned yet.

Well well, it seems that sometimes Forrest just needs a bit of
attention from you guys for problems to heal themselves. Or - more
likely - the problem was 40 cm in front of the screen.

Anyway, reloading the server with the skinconf.xml to do some further
experiment my menu all of a sudden shows up with the desired width AND
those corners were in the right place.

Q: Could it be that the skinning does some calculation between the
   element? That would explain why manipulating CSS in the rendered
   page will cover up the rounded corners, where as changing it in
   extra CSS does not (because skinning sets the corners to the proper
   point in the menu rectangle).

   If that is so, we have some really intelligent software here and my
   respect to the guy who designed the CSS override to be part of that
   smart process.

Well, there's always room for improvement: The smart software does not
adjust the text margin to move out of the way of the larger menu. So I
had to add this

#content {

    padding: 20px 20px 20px 280px;

    margin: 0;

    font : small Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;

    font-size : 80%;

}

to move the text to the side. Sort of counterintuitive that the last
figure is responsible for left padding but it works.

Thanks for all your suggestions,

--
Ferdinand Soethe