forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some feedback on using Forrest
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 13:21:48 GMT
Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-26-05 at 12:16 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:

>>>Perhaps there is a problem with your web server. When i request
>>>HEAD of that document, it shows that there is no "Last-Modified"
>>>header in the response.
>>
>>To be clear, the last published time is taken from the LAST-MODIFIED
>>header, if it is not present the current date/time is used. Note that it
>>*should* be present, this is a config problem on your server.
>>

> As I said before, I have no control over the web server. But I'd like to
> know what exactly is needed there to get this feature working. Maybe I
> can convince someone to do it :|

How to get it working is dependant on your server. I you want to do it
in the generation of the pages search your skin files for
document.write("Last Published: " + document.lastModified);

You could change the way this is generated, perhaps taking a value from
skinconf. Not ideal as you will have to update skinconf each time you
published, but at leat it would work if you can't get the last-modified
header.

> I glad to see this is helpful. I will continue working with 0.7-dev and
> would let you know how it goes. BTW, understanding the menu generation
> thing was not trivial. There's a few things the docs fail to mention.
> I'll try to put them in some good wording later this week.

That would be superb, if you can then put a patch on our issue tracker,
see http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/contrib.html#patch. If you can't
provide a patch comments on the issue will help.

Ross