forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some feedback on using Forrest
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 11:16:55 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:

>>I've worked with the svn version of Forrest and I'd like to share some
>>comments on my experience so far.
>

> Oh thank you. That is exactly what we need - feedback.
> Also people testing 0.7-dev is helping to create a better release.

I also want to thank you, this is a very valuable contribution to the
development of Forrest.

>>2. My site.xml file has the following:
>>
>><files>
>><eventos href="eventos/index.html"/>
>></files>
>>
>>However, <a href="site:eventos" /> is rendered as the link
>>http://sello-propio.com/eventos/ which you can see in the front
>>page. Where did the "index.html" part go? This is annoying
>>because while testing the site in my local hard drive (with
>>URLs like file:///path/to/build/site) these links give me
>>the list of files in the directory instead of the "index.html"
>>file I am expecting.
>>
>>Basically, there seems to be the implicit assumption that the
>>web server will always figure out that index.html is the file
>>that has to be rendered. This is not always the case. In particular
>>several "embedded" web server don't have this logic built in
>>and require a explicit mention of the target file.
>

> I wonder if this FAQ would address that issue:
> http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/faq.html#defaultStartPage

This is a different issue, That FAQ is about changing the default page
used if none is defined in the URL.  In this case the page to be used
has been defined in the HREF and therefore should be included in the link.

However, I have never seen this before, and a fresh-seed site shows that
this functionality works correctly. Do:

mkdir fresh
cd fresh
forrest seed
forrest run
http://localhost:8888/samples/linking.html#site

Note the links in this section, they correctly link to the named page,
for example:

generates the link:

http://localhost:8888/samples/faq.html

Do you have another element in your site.xml called "eventos", that
could be getting in the way?

If you change the site.xml entry to <eventos
href="eventos/testing.html"/> what is the resultant link?

>>4. You will notice that the date in the top right of the pages is
>>the current date/time as of the moment you click to see each page.
>>This is supposed to be the "Published" date instead! (I removed
>>the "Publicado", in Spanish, because it is simply not working).
>>
>>The server serving the pages doesn't have Java available. Could this
>>be the reason why I get this weird behaviour?
>

> Perhaps there is a problem with your web server. When i request
> HEAD of that document, it shows that there is no "Last-Modified"
> header in the response.

To be clear, the last published time is taken from the LAST-MODIFIED
header, if it is not present the current date/time is used. Note that it
*should* be present, this is a config problem on your server.

Once again, thanks for your feedback. Being made aware of these issues
is how we try and make sure Forrest works for everyone as intended.
Without this feedback the devs cannot do their job properly. For all
those lurkers here, you can contribute to Forrest directly simply by
providing feedback like this.

Ross