forrest-user mailing list archives

From Maurice Lanselle <lanselle.als...@evc.net>
Subject How to Try Currently Useable Skins?
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 10:57:30 GMT
I am learning to use Forrest v0.6.  I am very confused by the
information on changing skins and skin properties, and I think there may
be issues. I would like to simply:
1) Try the available skins, to see how they look and how they vary so I
can choose my favorite.
2) Customize the colors of the chosen skin.

This is not as simple or successful as I expected.  There seems to be
inconsistent information on what skins are currently useable, and also
the inclusion of their color tags in skinconf.xml.
a) The "available-skins" command gives out-of-date information : "crust,
pelt, tigris"
b) When I asked for "crust" (no longer exists), the handler chooses a
deprecated skin : "krysalis-site" , which in turn provokes a warning and
a recommendation to use "pelt".
c) skinconf.xml has color tags for "krysalis", "Forrest", "Collabnet",
"Lenya using pelt", but these are all either deprecated or not mentioned
in the available and defaults lists. So how would I change the colors
for, say, tigris (which does work for me)? How could I (easily) obtain
the color tags to use the correct names and know the initial settings?

Regards,
Maurice

Docs I consulted :

- In the doc at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#skin-configuration it
says to "edit the forrest.properties file to set
project.skin=leather-dev or some other skin name." and provides a link to
- a list of default skins [http://forrest.apache.org/docs/skins.html]:
pelt, leather-dev, tigris, and plain-dev. It says "krysalis-site" and
"forrest-site" are old and deprecated.
- On the page Skin packages
[http://forrest.apache.org/docs/skin-package.html], it says "To see the
names of the remote skins: forrest available-skins".

P.S
Also confusing for me, at [http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs.html] in
the body it lists
0.6 - the current release
0.7 - the current development version

but in the menu under "Other>Overview" it lists
- 0.8-dev
- 0.7 (current)
- 0.6