forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: App vs Data
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 12:28:29 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> I'm having a difficult time understanding where the Forrest
> application ends and where the data for the site begins.  Is there
> always a one-to-one relationship between the Forrest app and a site?
> In other words can the app be used to operate on multiple sites or is
> the site configuration so inter-twined with the application that one
> needs separate "instances" of Forrest for each site (changing
> "$FORREST_HOME" for each site)?

All configs for a site, are site dependant. That is they are defined in
the site not in Forrest itself. SO the answer is you need 1 instance of
Forrest for any number of sites.

> In terms of Forrest directory structure, I think here's what I'm asking:
>
> Instead of:
> ..\src\documentation
>
> ..\src\site1-documentation
> ..\src\site2-documentation
> ..\src\site3-documentation
>
> Where site1, site2, and site3 are totally different web sites.  I
> guess the command line would somehow have to support an extra
> parameter naming the site to be built/run.
>
> Any help in understanding this would be appreciated.

You should have:

site1/src/documentation
site2/src/documentation
site3/src/docuemntation

In order to get started we provide a "forrest seed" command that will
create the necessary config files and directory structure. So all you
need to do is:

mkdir site1
cd site1
forrest seed

and then start editing your configuration and site data.

See out docs for more info:

http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/your-project.html

Ross

Ross