forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why is default start page fixed on index.html?
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 11:44:55 GMT
Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> Ross Gardler a écrit :
>
>> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>
>>> Looking at the client-server dialog when asking for localhost:8888 I
>>> found that a
>>>
>>> get /
>>>
>>> is replied to by
>>>
>>> HTTP/1.x 302 Moved Temporarily
>>> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:48:41 GMT
>>> Server: Jetty/4.2.19 (Windows XP/5.1 x86 java/1.4.2_02)
>>> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>>> Location: http://localhost:8888/index.html
>>>
>>> So is this a problem of jetty rather than Forrest?
>>

>> Again, I don't think this is a "problem" it is standard for web
>> servers to default to index.html.
>

> It is not standard for Web servers to default to index.html but a
> configuration :

Yes, that's what I meant. In web servers it is normal to use a *default*
of index.html (and usually a few others that are relevant). This is
*exactly* how Forrest behaves. The *default* is to use index.html.

html is the only extension that makes sense in our default environment
so there is no need for additional extensions. Furthermore you can
configure the filename to be something else. Therefore our behaviour is
the same as everyone elses.

>> If you want to change it then you need to override the redirect that
>> is in the forrest sitemap.xmap file by creating your own project sitemap.
>

> OK, but the problem is many skins - such as pelt if I remember - use
> "index.html" string in tests to generate xhtml - such as the credits or
> some other features.

This is a good point, I wonder if Thorsten is reading this and can
address this in the fortcoming views.

> It would have been nice to use the project.start-uri property or
> something like this.

Sure, easier configuration of the start URI is good, patches accepted :-))

Ross