forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plugin error - no internet available
Date Mon, 23 May 2005 00:50:09 GMT
, Mark Eggers wrote:
> Addi wrote:
> >...be able to download plugins.  Is there any way for me to download the
> >plugin files and transfer them to the laptop?  Any other workarounds?
> >
> I don't know about the snapshot.  If you use subversion to check out the
> current Forrest environment, you'll get a directory
> $FORREST_HOME/plugins   In there, you should find the source to all of
> the plugins.

Great reply Mark.

Your solution to build the plugins locally, does work for the
snapshots too. Everyone has all the source code on their disk.

(On the dev list we will need to ensure that the actual
packaged release of 0.7 can run out of the box.
Thanks for reporting that important issue, Addi.)

> You'll need ant from http://ant.apache.org to build the plugins locally.

Please use the Ant that is packaged with Forrest.
We know that that version works for us, and there is a
huge gotcha if you don't. [1]
  Instead do 'tools/ant/bin/ant local-deploy'
[1] http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html#ant

> Once you have ant installed, just type ant in the plugins directory.
> The default target is local-deploy, which is what you want.  The ant
> script (build.xml) will prompt you for the name of the plugin.  Just
> type the directory name of the plugin you wish to install, and ant will
> build it and deploy it locally.
>
> I typically do an svn update, build clean, build, cd to the plugins and
> then ant local-deploy each plugin.  I wish there was an easier way of
> building and deploying all of the plugins.  Maybe that's a good
> candidate for an enhancement suggestion.  Since the plugins exist in the
> subversion checkout, maybe the main build script could check for the
> plugins and build them locally (or as a separate ant task).

Please tell us what you think is needed. The plugin infrastructure
is not yet released. It has the basic functionality now, and we
can add more/easier ways later.

Such discussion would probably be better on the dev list until
0.7 is released, but we are happy to get feedback anywhere.

> I just checked the latest version of the snapshot, and all the plugins
> are in there as well.  Just cd to $FORREST_HOME/plugins and run ant for
> each of the plugins.
>
> Hope this helps.

It does.

Thanks to all those people that are using 0.7-dev and
providing feedback.

--David