forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Re: Why is default start page fixed on index.html?
Date Mon, 02 May 2005 11:14:54 GMT

Ross Gardler wrote:

> Again, I don't think this is a "problem" it is standard for web
> servers to default to index.html.

While I can see where this setting is coming from, and think that it
makes sense to have this as an implicit setting for directories where
not start-page is named, I don't think that we should keep this for
the sites start-page for two reasons:

- Foreign language CD documentation projects might want to give the start
  page a name that is easy to understand for people who don't use
  auto starts and access the directory directly.

  Naming it 'index' is misleading even in English as it is not the
  index-page.

- The internal logic of site would benefit a lot if we used the
  attribute href in the site-element to determine which page to open
  first. And if no href is given or it is empty, fine use index.html
  as startup like before and in any other directory.

  Sounds to me like a very consistent approach. Is it difficult to
  change that?

--
Ferdinand Soethe