forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Path Setting (was Re: Idiot's guide)
Date Wed, 18 May 2005 07:15:26 GMT

David wrote

> I don't know what you mean by that. I don't do Window$, but that setting
> looks like it would take the existing PATH and append the location of
> forrest bin directory.

Your are right in theorie. If you used this expression in a bat file
to set the path variable it would work.

But if you used it in the gui-dialogs of the more recent windows
versions and replaced the path settings there with this, you'd
effectively delete the old path settings.

> No-one has ever complained about this before,
> and we have plenty of users on that system. Perhaps you have found
> a typo that everyone else has missed. Please tell us which document
> you are referring to.

It's not a typo. If you understand the context it it correct. But the
context here is pretty complex and the instructions needed would be
different between windows versions and languages, a doc nightmare.

I'd suggest to add a minimum installer to Forrest 0.8 that does at
least one thing:

- set the path properly

and while we are at it

- add ways to execute forrest run, forrest (compile) and forrest clean
  for a given project (directory) from the windows explorer
  (I'm thinking about either send-tos) or associating a dummy file
  in the project root with these commands.

Can anybody recommend an open source install software for windows?

--
Ferdinand Soethe