forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Pedro I. Sanchez" <psanc...@colcan.biz>
Subject Re: Some feedback on using Forrest
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 12:19:50 GMT
On Thu, 2005-26-05 at 15:55 +1000, David Crossley wrote:
> Pedro I. Sanchez wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I created a web site which is on-line at http://www.sello-propio.com
> > since a few days ago. It is pretty simple and uses the default skin.
> > But my customer is really happy, both with the quality, and with the
> > speed at which changes can be introduced.
> >
> > I've worked with the svn version of Forrest and I'd like to share some
> > comments on my experience so far.
>
> Oh thank you. That is exactly what we need - feedback.
> Also people testing 0.7-dev is helping to create a better release.
>
> > 1. The web site is in Spanish. I had to manually modify the default
> > skin to get rid of English messages, i.e., "Published", "Search", etc.
> > It would be great if the skins would refer to some file which actually
> > holds the translations for these messages.
>
> This could be quite easily added to the skinconf.xml configuration,
> rather than a separate file. The skinconf DTD would need a tweak.
> Would you please add an Issue to our tracker. See the left-hand
> menu of our Project tab.

I'll do.

> > 2. My site.xml file has the following:
> >
> > <files>
> > <eventos href="eventos/index.html"/>
> > </files>
> >
> > However, <a href="site:eventos" /> is rendered as the link
> > http://sello-propio.com/eventos/ which you can see in the front
> > page. Where did the "index.html" part go? This is annoying
> > because while testing the site in my local hard drive (with
> > URLs like file:///path/to/build/site) these links give me
> > the list of files in the directory instead of the "index.html"
> > file I am expecting.
> >
> > Basically, there seems to be the implicit assumption that the
> > web server will always figure out that index.html is the file
> > that has to be rendered. This is not always the case. In particular
> > several "embedded" web server don't have this logic built in
> > and require a explicit mention of the target file.
>
> I wonder if this FAQ would address that issue:
> http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs/faq.html#defaultStartPage

Can't connect. It doesn't seem to be the same issue.

> > 3. Why do I get "2005 2005" in the copyright label? I have this
> > in skinconf.xml
> >
> >   <year>2005</year>
> >   <vendor>Sello Propio.</vendor>
> >
> > I'd like this to read "2004-2005" but if I put <year>2004-2005</year>
> > get "2004-2005 2004-2005". The skin always doubles up the content of the
> > <year> :(
>
> Strange. That configuration does not seem to be any different
> to what we have for forrest.apache.org and it works for us.
>
> You said that you copied the pelt skin and changed some things.
> Perhaps you accidently added something to the stylesheets
> when you were experimenting with changing the English terms.
> Doing 'diff -r skins/sello-propio skins/pelt' will reveal your
> changes.

I just did a svn update on my local copy of Forrest. Then I run "forrest
seed; forrest" in a clean, empty, directory. I get the "2005 2005"
thing. You can see the result at http://colcan.biz/forrest

> > 4. You will notice that the date in the top right of the pages is
> > the current date/time as of the moment you click to see each page.
> > This is supposed to be the "Published" date instead! (I removed
> > the "Publicado", in Spanish, because it is simply not working).
> >
> > The server serving the pages doesn't have Java available. Could this
> > be the reason why I get this weird behaviour?
>
> Perhaps there is a problem with your web server. When i request
> HEAD of that document, it shows that there is no "Last-Modified"
> header in the response.

I have no control over the server. What exactly is required for this
feature to work?

> > Despite these problems, I'm really happy with Forrest and I want to
> > say thank you to the development team.
>
> Thanks to you. If you have any general changes that you needed
> to make to the pelt skin, then send them in. That would make
> it easier for you to keep your code synchronised.
>
> > And if you feel is worth it,
> > I'd be delighted to see this new web site in the list of samples
> > in the Forrest's web site.
>
> Of course it is. Done. If you want to change the entry, then
> send us the output of
> svn diff site-author/content/xdocs/live-sites.xml

Thank you,

Pedro