forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Pedro I. Sanchez" <psanc...@colcan.biz>
Subject Some feedback on using Forrest
Date Thu, 26 May 2005 04:03:17 GMT
Hello,

I created a web site which is on-line at http://www.sello-propio.com
since a few days ago. It is pretty simple and uses the default skin.
But my customer is really happy, both with the quality, and with the
speed at which changes can be introduced.

I've worked with the svn version of Forrest and I'd like to share some
comments on my experience so far.

1. The web site is in Spanish. I had to manually modify the default
skin to get rid of English messages, i.e., "Published", "Search", etc.
It would be great if the skins would refer to some file which actually
holds the translations for these messages.

2. My site.xml file has the following:

<files>
<eventos href="eventos/index.html"/>
</files>

However, <a href="site:eventos" /> is rendered as the link
http://sello-propio.com/eventos/ which you can see in the front
page. Where did the "index.html" part go? This is annoying
because while testing the site in my local hard drive (with
URLs like file:///path/to/build/site) these links give me
the list of files in the directory instead of the "index.html"
file I am expecting.

Basically, there seems to be the implicit assumption that the
web server will always figure out that index.html is the file
that has to be rendered. This is not always the case. In particular
several "embedded" web server don't have this logic built in
and require a explicit mention of the target file.

3. Why do I get "2005 2005" in the copyright label? I have this
in skinconf.xml

  <year>2005</year>
  <vendor>Sello Propio.</vendor>

I'd like this to read "2004-2005" but if I put <year>2004-2005</year> I
get "2004-2005 2004-2005". The skin always doubles up the content of the
<year> :(

4. You will notice that the date in the top right of the pages is
the current date/time as of the moment you click to see each page.
This is supposed to be the "Published" date instead! (I removed
the "Publicado", in Spanish, because it is simply not working).

The server serving the pages doesn't have Java available. Could this
be the reason why I get this weird behaviour?

Despite these problems, I'm really happy with Forrest and I want to
say thank you to the development team. And if you feel is worth it,
I'd be delighted to see this new web site in the list of samples
in the Forrest's web site.

Thank you,

--
Pedro