forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Pedro I. Sanchez" <>
Subject Building a non-english uni-lingual web site
Date Sun, 01 May 2005 13:42:15 GMT

I'm testing Forrest to build an all-Spanish web site. No multilingual
support is planned yet, but when this capability becomes available (it
is not ready yet, correct?) I'll be interested in using it. I'm using a
SVN working copy of the current development Forrest.

These are the things I have done so far:

1. Added encoding="ISO-8859-1" on the XML header of documents so that I
can use accents.

2. Created tabs, menus, and content in Spanish. Nothing special here, it
just works.

3. Created a local skin for my site by copying the original "custom" and
"pelt" directories from Forrest into my local tree and adjusting accordingly.

So far so good, using the local skin I can translate labels like
"Published", "Search", etc. But before I go too far into it I'd like to
ask a couple of questions:

1. Is this the right approach? Is this manual customization of the skin
the right way to do these translations? It feels weird to me, like I'm
doing something wrong. I see a directory named "translations" in my site
but I have no clue how to use it. Any hints?

2. I can't figure out how to get the date in Spanish, for instance in
the "Last Published" string in the footer. I tried exporting LANG=es_ES
before running the forrest command but this doesn't help. Where do I
change this?

Thank you for your time,

View raw message