forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introduction of XHTML?
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:42:47 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>>Ross Gardler wrote:

>>Only questions remaining is: Where is the grammar for this XHTML
>>subset defined. I saw only the general xhtml-dtds in
>>...\main\webapp\resources\schema.
>

> The XHTML "subset" is document-v20 ... it uses a subset
> of XHTML and no forrest-specific ones such as those used
> in document-v13, e.g. <link>
>
> Ross is suggesting that you use document-v20 now as input
> because the change to XHTML documents is then trivial.

Actually, I was suggesting that the docs be written in XHTML and
converted with the html2document.xsl. It may require a little tweaking
of that stylesheet, although I have been using XHTML for my source files
for quite some time now. Although I am working without a grammar, I
suppose I can do that since I use a text editor and so don't use code
assist etc.

If you really need a grammar then you could start from the document-v20
grammar. As David says it is very close to the complete subset we will
use, but this is not XHTML so will need some tweaking (still has the
document tag instead of html for example).

Alternatively, you could grab schema for the necessary XHTML modules we
will be using. They are identified in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=107262795814418&w=2

For more discussion about the format we will adopt see
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-184

It really depends on your use case as to which is the best route to go.
Spending a little time now pulling together the XHTML modules we need
will assist with FOR-184 and will prevent you having to retrain your
users in the future. Although it will require some work on
html2document.xsl (although I don't think there will be huge amounts).

Alternatively, you could do as David suggests and work with document-v20
which is pretty close to the XHTML subset we will use. This works now,
with no work on DTD's or stylesheets, but would require you to retrain
your users if they wanted to adopt the new XHTML format in 0.8+.

Only you can decide the best way to go for your use case.

Ross