forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: skinconf text elements in group.svg
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2005 18:05:06 GMT
Kevin wrote:

>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Kevin,
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?view=rev&rev=159868
>>>
>>> Rick commited some code to make
>>> forrest/trunk/main/webapp/resources/stylesheets/project2text.xsl more
>>> generic.
>>

>> Thank you for your help. I'll look at how project2text.xsl is
>> called so I understand things correctly. I appreciate your ideas
>> below and will use the new svn version.
>>
>> Kevin.
>>
>>> If you make an svn up your problem may be already solved. ;-)
>>>
>>> Changing the stopping color may be easier to change directly in the
>>> *.svg code.

> I have looked at project2text.xsl and if I understand right it
> outputs the values of document (skinconf.xml) children not all
> descendants?

It does work on all descendants because of the copyover import at the
head of the file.

> Also I am confused to how project2text.xsl works. I understand
> the xml file is group.svg and transformed with project2text.xsl
> replacing <for:element /> in the svg somehow with elements from
> another xml ie. skinconf.xml possibly after it's own transform
> with skin and common skinconf.xsl files. It's this:
>
> <xsl:variable name="config" select="//skinconfig"/>
>
> how does it hook into the <skinconf> tree. "//skinconfig" means
> all "skinconfig" descendants of the document element? I'm wrong
> in my understanding :
The control for all generation is in our *.xmap file in
FORREST_HOME/main/webapp.

If you search the xmap files for occurrences of project2text.xsl you
will see a series of matches in resources.xmap. As you get used to how
forrest works you will learn where these files are used. The
resources.xmap file is used to process requests for resources such as
graphics, scripts and CSS.

Anyway, looking at where project2text.xsl is used in resources.xmap you
see a few of pipelines like this:

       <map:resource name="pipe-aggregate-svg2png-resource">
          <map:call resource="generate-aggregate-resource">
            <map:parameter name="path" value="{path}" />
          </map:call>
          <map:call resource="transform-project2text"/>
          <map:transform src="{forrest:stylesheets}/extract-svg.xsl"/>
          <map:serialize type="svg2png" />
       </map:resource>

The two resources in this pipleline are:

       <map:resource name="generate-aggregate-resource">
         <map:aggregate element="resource">
           <map:part src="cocoon://skinconf.xml" />
           <map:part src="{path}"/>
         </map:aggregate>
       </map:resource>

and:

       <map:resource name="transform-project2text">
          <map:transform src="{forrest:stylesheets}/project2text.xsl"/>
       </map:resource>

So we can now see that the above pipeline does the following:

- aggregate skinconf.xml and another document indicated by the path
variable.

- transform it using project2text.xsl

- serialise it using the svg2png serialiser

(if you don't understand how this works you need to learn about Cocoon
xmap files there are some links to documentation at
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#sitemap.xmap )

So, to get answer your question of "how does <xsl:variable name="config"
select="//skinconfig"/> it into the <skinconf> tree. " You were right
that "//skinconfig" means all skinconfig elements in the document, but I
suspect you did not realise that skinconf.xml is aggregate with the
document you are processing before the stylesheet gets to work.

Ross