forrest-user mailing list archives

From Rick Tessner <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: skinconf text elements in group.svg
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:38:08 GMT
On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 18:14 +0100, Kevin wrote:

> My real world example skinconf.xml:
>   <group-svg>
>      <text-anchor x="0%">start</text-anchor>
>    </group-svg>
>
>    <project-svg>
>      <text-anchor x="95%">end</text-anchor>
>    </project-svg>

Hi Kevin,

I think that with what you're trying to accomplish here, you are better
off using the full power of XSL.

The project2text.xsl is really just a simple little XSL to easily
substitute bits from the skinconf.xml into an SVG without having to
resort to a full XSL that transforms the entire skinconf.xsl and creates
SVG on the back end.

In Forrest, there are currently two different methods used in generating
SVGs:

     1. Use an XSL to transform the skinconf.xml into SVG
     2. Write an SVG that references values in skinconf.xml via the
        <for:*> and project2text.xsl.

The first method brings the full power of XSL  to bear.  The second is
easier to read and understand, but less powerful in terms of what can be
done.

There was also a few emails on the dev@forrest list this weekend about
skinconf that may interest you as well.

In particular, the emails referenced the FOR-144 issue
( http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-144 ) about an extensible skin
configuration and defining a new format for skinconf.xml.

That issue references an email thread from last year that you may be
interested in following as well.  That thread does bring up the issue
that there is a DTD for the skinconif.xml.  The changes that you and I
have been playing with do break that DTD. :)

And, that, fundamentally is what the above discussion in FOR-144 and the
associated email thread is about.  How to make the skinconf.xml more
extensible. :)

        <snip what="project.svg.xslt"/>

This project.svg.xslt is the first method of generating SVGs that I
mentioned above.  And, as you've seen, it gives you a lot of control
over what you generate.

        <snip what="project.svg using project2text.xsl"/>

> It gets quite complicated. I couldn't think of a way of
> getting @x of <text> without resorting to the way I get
> at @value of <color> below. Also I did try and substitute
> the whole element. ie.

Exactly.  This is the second method of generating SVGs mentioned above.
Much easier to read the project.svg and understand what it's doing but
not as much flexibility and power as the first method using XSL
directly.

And, no, the @attributes are not currently copied by project2text.xsl.

        <snip what="more xsl transforming the skinconf"/>

Yup, I think that XSL is probably the best way to continue with what
you're trying to do.

Hope this helps,

--
Rick Tessner