forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Plugging into a site.xml
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:59:06 GMT
Arik Kfir wrote:
> Hello,
> We are writing software that utilizes Forrest and generates a complete
> Forrest documentation project from some outside data. The only thing
> that is provided from outside our software is the menu structure and
> tabs (i.e. tabs.xml and site.xml) - they are provided by the user.
> However, we need to manipulate them to insert some predefined menu
> structure and tabs of our own.
> For example, suppose the user provides a tabs.xml with custom tabs, the
> resulting tabs.xml after processing should also contain our tabs as
> well. The same for site.xml. Our dillema is: how should we perform the
> manipulation? Of course, we can simply process the file directly and
> change it (our copy of it, that is). But I was wondering if there is a
> way of defining/redefining a pipeline or something in the project.xmap
> that will so (perhaps create a custom Generator for the
> site.xml/tabs.xml that will embed our added data).
> Has anyone done this before (changing the default pipeline of
> site.xml/tabs.xml) via the project's site map?

Yes. You need what is called an Internal Plugin.

Input plugins can override any of the behaviour of Forrest (and can
break it so tread carefully). Note that plugins are only in the 0.7-dev
release, so you will need to be running SVN head version of Forrest, or
wait a few weeks for the o.7 release.

There is some documentation at

The example given in that documentation is of the IMSManifest plugin,
which overrides site.xml behaviour and replaces it with a thing called
an IMS Manifest. You can use the same technique to generate your own
site.xml file from your external files.

Ask if you need help.

View raw message