forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest Skin renders poorly in IE 5
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:52:24 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> Just noticed yesterday, when showing Forrests Example Sites Page to
> a client who is still running this ancient version 5 of IE, that some
> Forrest pages will render almost unreadable.
>
> Q1: Is this considered a problem that needs to be fixed or do we expect
>     people to use a current browser to read Forrest generated websites?

For a long time we tried to render okay in really old browsers, so we
kept using the tables-based skin as default and on the forrest website.
Then we decided to move on and use CSS. If there is some stuff that we
can do to assist older browsers, then we should do that.

> Q2: Is there a list of what is expected from a Forrest enabled browser
>     or a list of browsers and versions that will render the default skins
>     properly?

We do need to provide a list of expectations. I wouldn't want to try
to maintain a browser compliance table though. Perhaps we can make
a list of requirements and point to browser tests at other site.

--David