forrest-user mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: some questions regarding forrest
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:13:56 GMT
On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 15:44 +0100, Marc Logemann wrote:

> 1.
> --
> I want to create product documentation and i need 3 versions: "PDF",
> "HTML One-Page", "HTML links-per-chapter/topic". An example of such an
> approach can be seen here: http://www.solarmetric.com/jdo/Documentation/
> (docbook generated ;-)) How to structure the XML documents for this?
> Do i need XML linking capabilites? Because i want one XML file per
> topic, several topics are a chapter and several chapters are the book.
> Now i want forrest to produce one BIG html page covering the book, one
> TOC based html with different links to the various topics or chapters
> and a PDF with the complete material. PDF for various chapters wont hurt
> either. Tapestry has done it nearly the same way with forrest, so it
> should be doable. (perhaps i should check out tapestry CVS to see whats
> going on there)

Hmm, I just looked on the link you posted and on the tapestry site. The
overview is a simple site with links. Trying to say this you will have
to create yourself. forrest will not produce this for you at current
stage.

For whole site and whole pdf have a look at
http://forrest.apache.org/howto/howto-pdf-tab.html

> 2.
> --
> How can i control the PDF generation? The footer is pretty big and i
> want to shorten it but how?

have a look at main/webapp/skins/{skin-name}/xslt/pdf/* and
skinconf.xml.

> 3.
> --
> When transforming the OO documents to PDF, we get the Object
> descriptions for tables and images below them. Is this the way it should be?

I guess so ;-).

No, I do not know. Can not help you here.

HTH
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"