forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ferdinand Soethe <samm...@soethe.net>
Subject Running (and stopping) Forrest from within Eclipse
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:30:33 GMT
Question:

            Is there a better way than killing Java in Solution 2 (see
            below)?

Problem  1:

            I wanted an easy way to run Forrest (as a server) from
            within Eclipse using one (of several projects) that I'm
            currently working on.

Solution 1:

            In Eclipse create an new External Tool "Run Forrest" with
            these settings:

            Location:          [YourForrestProgramDir]\bin\forrest.bat
            Working Directory: ${project_loc}
            Arguments:         run

            This will start the Jetty-Server in the project directory
            of the project you are currently working on. Because we
            use the project directory variable ${project_loc} you
            don't have to select the project root, selecting any file
            or folder below it in the Navigator is good enough.

Advantage:

            Quick way to run the server on any project without having to
            switch to a command line window or create individual
            batch files that do it for you.

            Much nicer logging of the output right with your project.

Problem 2:

            Using this I ran into a problem stopping the jetty-server:
            Since Eclipse would not let be use the normal Ctrl-C to
            stop the server, the only way I found was to terminate the
            process from Eclipse.

            Unfortunately that did not remove the process completely
            and so when I tried to re-start it (in another project),
            I found the Jetty still running for the first project and
            no way to stop it.

Solution 2:

            Create a second External Tool KillJava with these setting:

            Location:          C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskkill.exe
            Working Directory: -
            Arguments        : /F /IM java.exe

            Works for me and didn't seem to have any side effects.
            But I know this is not the nice way to do it.
            Any suggestions?

--
Ferdinand Soethe