forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PDF output High image errors
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:41:53 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We have some difficulties with high images in PDF output.
> This is probably FOP related, maybe someone may forward
> mail this to their list, thanks!
>
> Images higher than about 600px (basically part of
> screenshots) that are not scaled down because of width
> will produce errors:
>   1. FOPException: No meaningful layout ...
>   2. java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>   3. endless swapping (if forrest.maxmemory is high)
>
> The first one is still somewhat legible but the 2nd
> and 3rd take some time to discover. They happen e.g.
> if the image is enclosed in a table. See example code
> below. This happens for PNG and GIF images.
>
> The only workaround we found usable is to decrease
> the height of the image upfront. Setting height="400px"
> works, too, but the HTML quality is very poor.
>
> Since scaling for wide images works well I hope
> that there's a fix for this.
>
> Shall I file a forrest bug for this?

See http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-413 and
http://issues.cocoondev.org/browse/FOR-296 and add any comments you have.

With respect to the latter (which you created by the way ;-) there was
some recent talk on the Cocoon dev list about enhancements to the image
generator to do scaling. I've not revisited to see if anything has been
implemented.

Ross