forrest-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Wiki and UTF-8/non-latin-1
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:26:08 GMT
Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> På 16. feb. 2005 kl. 15.06 skrev Ross Gardler:
>> Sjur Moshagen wrote:
>>> I have now added the encoding parameter at the following locations:
>>> $FORREST_HOME/plugins/wiki/input.xmap
>>> $FORREST_HOME/plugins/wiki/resources/chaperon/sitemap.xmap
>> The second of these is not used by Forrest, it is there because this 
>> directory is a copy of the Cocoon block.
> ok.
>> In the xmap files you need the namespace.
> ok, I just checked that they're there (they are).
>> Did you do "ant local-deploy" from within the plugin directory? This 
>> will deploy your changes to the running instance of Forrest.
> No, I didn't (I edited the xmap in the build dir manually). Now I have 
> done it, but still no UTF-8.

This requires some more investigation then. I've not looked into it at 
all, I just jumped in on the "shot-in-the-dark" suggestion from 
Thorsten. Please file a bug report and if you continue to investigate 
keep it updated with your findings.

>> Configuration of plugins is not possible yet, we have discussed 
>> various solutions over on the dev list, but none have been implemented 
>> yet. One thing is sure is that it should *not* be central. The whole 
>> idea of plugins is to decentralise. Furthermore, it doesn't really 
>> make sense to configure the plugin across the board since there may be 
>> multiple files each with different encodings.
> Ok. But how could one specify the encoding of text files, which 
> inherently has no way of specifying it within the file?

This is really a dev list discussion so please move it over there is you 
want to contribute your thoughts (nothing has been decided yet). is that 
a set of plugin properties (that may or may not be part of are used to define what files to process, and how.

For example (names need to be more carefully thought out): = UTF-8 = 
/path/to/latin/, path/to/another/latin/, path/to/latin/dir = 

In this case default encoding is set to UTF-8. The two files and 
everything in the direcroty listed in the Latin-1Encoding.include 
property are all Latin encoded, except the one exception file defined in 
the Lain-1Encoding.exclude property. There is much discussion about this 
in the dev archives (search for "selective PDF") and a partial solution 
in the issue tracker too.

If you are familiar with ANT then these kins of include and exclude 
patterns should be familiar to you.

> But this is future - first we need to get the encoding working in its 
> own:-)

So true!


View raw message