forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki and UTF-8/non-latin-1
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:06:59 GMT
Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> På 16. feb. 2005 kl. 12.56 skrev Thorsten Scherler:

>>> No response so far - does it mean that noone has this problem, or that
>>> noone has tried using the jspwiki input format with UTF-8 encoding?
>>>
>>> Sjur
>>

>> Not having the problem because never tried your use-case. Sorry for not
>> being a bigger help.
>>
>> ...but having a quick look on the plugin raises the question whether you
>> added <map:parameter name="encoding" value="UTF-8"/> as well to
>> chaperon/sitemap.xmap?
>

> Thanks for the tip. It didn't help, though.
>
> I have now added the encoding parameter at the following locations:
>
> $FORREST_HOME/plugins/wiki/input.xmap
> $FORREST_HOME/plugins/wiki/resources/chaperon/sitemap.xmap

The second of these is not used by Forrest, it is there because this
directory is a copy of the Cocoon block.

> Another variable in the bug hunting is whether it should be:
>
> <map:parameter name="encoding" value="UTF-8"/>
> or
> <parameter name="encoding" value="UTF-8"/>

In the xmap files you need the namespace.

> All other parameters in the mentioned files are without a namespace, but
> the documentation on the Chaperon site has a namespace. I have tried
> both with and without, to no avail.

Did you do "ant local-deploy" from within the plugin directory? This
will deploy your changes to the running instance of Forrest.

> If/when we are able to solve the problem, it seems to me that there
> should be a central configuration option (in forrest.properties) for the
> encoding of text file sources (*.jspwiki, *.txt, whatever is supported
> by forrest and its plugins), probably in a fashion similar to
> override the encoding of each type. As it is now, I am editing the
> Forrest sources to get what I want, which is not desirable in the long run.

Configuration of plugins is not possible yet, we have discussed various
solutions over on the dev list, but none have been implemented yet. One
thing is sure is that it should *not* be central. The whole idea of
plugins is to decentralise. Furthermore, it doesn't really make sense to
configure the plugin across the board since there may be multiple files
each with different encodings.

Ross