forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Error in menus documentation?
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:10:32 GMT
Andy J wrote:
> Thanks for the constructive criticism.  Actually, I don't agree with
> that comment (I hope you at least agree that I can disagree with your
> sentiment).  I'm trying to learn Forrest.  Do you think this should
> happen overnight?  Shouldn't there be someplace for a new user to
> turn?
>
> As a return favor, I'll offer you this suggestion: don't visit the
> "user" mailing list.  Then us "users" (just me at this time but I'm
> assuming they're are more that have been chased away) can learn it the
> old-fashioned way.  In the end, if we haven't walked away in disgust,
> we'll know the internals and what Forrest can do for us.

Andy, I really think you have misinterpreted David's comments here. He
is simply suggesting that starting to learn Forrest at the beginning,
with the basic concepts first and then progressing to the advanced
topics would probably result in a more productive experience on your
part. This was observed because you appear to be doing some advanced
customisation of your project before understanding the basic menu
generation system, you said yourself that you can't create a screenshot
because you currently don't know "which way is up in Forrest". David is
merely suggesting that getting a solid understanding of the basic
Forrest functionality would be a good precursor to creating advanced
customisations.

I can assure you that his comment was in no way meant as a criticism, he
even tried to make this clear in his response. As with all email
communication one needs to think carefully about the real intent of the
author, there is no "tone of voice" to guide interpretation and there
can often be language barriers as well. Trust me, the Forrest community
is one of the most welcoming you will find, and David is one of the most
constructively helpful readers of this user list.

Lets get on with using and improving Forrest.

Ross