forrest-user mailing list archives

From David Crossley <>
Subject Re: Aggregation Example
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:14:21 GMT
Stefan Baramov wrote:
> Okay, my real question is how to aggregate unknown number of documents?
> Here is my case (using Forrest 0.6): In my xdocs folder I have a folder called tasks.
It contains a collection of XML formatted files, where each file describes a single task.
I like to aggregate them all in one single document "Task Summary". Here is what I have in
site.xml file:
> --- site.xml ---
>   <about label="MyProd" tab="home">
>     <index label="Welcome" href="index.html" description="Welcome to MyProd"/>
>     <tasksummary label="Task Summary" href="tasksummary.html"/>
>   </about>
> Here the tasksummary.html points to a tasksummary.xml pipeline defined in sitemap.xmap
(It took me a significant time to figure out that a pipeline is matched by its "pattern" instead
of sort of ID)
> <map:pipeline>
> 	<map:match pattern="teamtask2section">
> 		<map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}/tasks/B001.teamtask" />
> 		<map:transform src="{project:resources.stylesheets}/teamtask2sec.xsl" />
> 		<map:serialize type="xml"/>
> 	</map:match>
> </map:pipeline>
> <map:pipeline>
> 	<map:match pattern="tasksummary.xml">
> 		<map:aggregate element="document">
> 			<map:part src="{project:content.xdocs}/task_header.xml" element="header"/>
> 			<map:part src="cocoon:/teamtask2section" element="body"/>
> 			<map:part src="{project:content.xdocs}/footer.xml" element="footer"/>
> 		</map:aggregate>
> 		<map:serialize type="xml"/>
> 	</map:match>
> </map:pipeline>
> where:
> 	task_header.xml is a generic header file.
> 	footer.xml is a generic footer XML file
> The real problem is that in the teamtask2section pipeline I can specify only one task
file B001.teamtask. And I have multiple: B002, B003 and so on. I tried wildcards such as :

> 	<map:generate src="{project:content.xdocs}/tasks/*.teamtask" />
> But it does not work. So how do I aggregate unknown number of XML files located in subdirectory
of xdocs?

Oh that is easy. Use the Cocoon "Directory generator".

searched Forrest and Cocoon documentation on aggregation, and I found very little information.
It has to be simple but I can get it right. I have no experience with Cocoon and I am getting

> > I would like to aggregate several XML files in a single one.
> > How do I define my pipeline (in sitemap.xmap)?
> > Or do I need multiple piplelines?
> There is an example in the Forrest core, but perhaps we should
> put a very basic example in the "forrest seed" site.
> You have not told us which version of forrest you are using.
> For the current trunk (i.e. 0.7-dev) see webapp/sitemap.xmap
> around line 490 and follow the aggregation where it gets its
> parts from other sitemap matches using the "cocoon:" protocol.
> > How do I link the generate document with site.xml?
> Aggregation is done in the sitemap.xmap ... that is nothing
> to do with site.xml ... We need an FAQ to reduce the
> confusion caused by the name site.xml
> --David

View raw message