forrest-user mailing list archives

From "Glen Tulukin" <>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:59:20 GMT
I knew that -- there are people who use Forrest for *real* site generation.
We can argue about the term "documentation" but the *real" site hardly can
be called *documentation* -- IMHO. I like suggested "Apache Forrest is a
content presentation framework that is able to render complete and
consistent websites, documents and reports by keeping the content separate
from the style. "

I'll ask client's (actually I have two clients) permission to post a link to
their web site. Next to the link to the web site I suggest to have short
description what they did/used/how customized Forrest.

P.S. One of clients is graphic design and signmaking company -- they can do
t-shirts. I ordered one for myself with text "See FoRRest for the xml trees"
that I proudly wear at this very moment. I can ask if they can do more but I
guess they need some kind of permission from ASF... But use the slogan if
you like.

"Arik Kfir" <> wrote in message
> Glen Tulukin wrote:
> >"Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
> >upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and
> >resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content into a website
> >via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. " -- it's on the
> > The word "documentation" is restrictive/confusing for
> >new commer. I am lucky to have Vadim Gritsenko in the next cubical (he is
> >frequent contributor to Cocoon, if somebody does not know) who can
> >that "Forrest is Cocoon plus three skins plus ready-to-use sitemap. Do
> >Forrest whatever you would do with Cocoon. People mainly use it for
> >documentation and you are the first one I know who uses Forrest for
> >website generation."
> >

> Umm....well actually we use Forrest for *real* site generation. I'm
> heading our Java technologies
> team over at the Israeli AirForce and we maintain a site that contains
> all the resources a Java developer
> here needs (something like an aggregation of articles, documentations,
> links, work procedures, how-tos,
> etc).  We also implemented a continuous integration framework which
> resembles Maven (only we did it
> four years ago ;-)) which integrates nicely into Forrest too. We use
> almost all Forrest features such as
> skins, new DTDs/catalogs, and even integrated it with custom Java
> Servlets code running in the same
> web app (in addition to using it for static content).  Actually, we're
> anxious for the plugin-concept to come
> out...
> Just wanted to make ya Forrest devs feel proud ;-)
> >Then welcome more patchers with more attractive product idea. I suggest
> >replace "documentation" with "content generation and management": "Apache
> >Forrest is an XML standards-oriented ***content generation and
> >framework based upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and
> >images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the source
> >into a website via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. "
> >
> >Glen
> >

> Love it.
> cheers ;-)

View raw message