forrest-user mailing list archives

From Andy J <sendtoa...@gmail.com>
Subject Is it right for me help request
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:41:25 GMT
HI, all. . .  I just downloaded and installed Forrest yesterday to try
to determine if it would work in my case.  So I spent all day with it
and was pretty happy and optimistic about the prospects.  It will be
deployed on a SunOne java server so using the webapp-war option
bundled up my webapp and that part went great.  I'm finally starting
to grok the concepts and successfully put some sdocbook source in
which transformed perfectly, very slick.

I'm still trying to figure out if it will work in my case and was
hoping someone could pipe in about two questions.

1.  I know the surest way to determine this is to try it - but I
didn't get that far and someone might know: will Forrest validate
against an XML Schema schema?  I have a lot invested in an existing
schema and don't want to spend more time morphing it to RNG or DTD.
So this is sort of a showstopper (or starter) issue.

2.  My main use of Forrest would be this:  I have a homegrown and
growing CM infrastructure which produces and uses XML files for
various tasks (e.g., baseline, build, request, etc).  This system was
not so much designed (other than in concept) as it has been collected
but all the various parts produce and use XML.  So I have a plethora
of XML files in a structure which are always being updated, added,
etc.  What I need is something (like Forrest) to report on these.  My
intent is to make custom XSL stylesheets as appropriate so Forrest
would take the various XMLs and produce various output files.  Does
this sound like a good fit?

Thanks for any input!

Andy