forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it right for me help request
Date Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:02:44 GMT
Andy J wrote:
> I'm still trying to figure out if it will work in my case and was
> hoping someone could pipe in about two questions.
>
> 1.  I know the surest way to determine this is to try it - but I
> didn't get that far and someone might know: will Forrest validate
> against an XML Schema schema?  I have a lot invested in an existing
> schema and don't want to spend more time morphing it to RNG or DTD.
> So this is sort of a showstopper (or starter) issue.

I should no the answer to this, but it seems I don't so I'll leave this
one for someone else.

> 2.  My main use of Forrest would be this:  I have a homegrown and
> growing CM infrastructure which produces and uses XML files for
> various tasks (e.g., baseline, build, request, etc).  This system was
> not so much designed (other than in concept) as it has been collected
> but all the various parts produce and use XML.  So I have a plethora
> of XML files in a structure which are always being updated, added,
> etc.  What I need is something (like Forrest) to report on these.  My
> intent is to make custom XSL stylesheets as appropriate so Forrest
> would take the various XMLs and produce various output files.  Does
> this sound like a good fit?

Yes, especially if you use 0.7-dev, but still possible with 0.6.

For 0.6 see http://forrest.apache.org/docs/project-sitemap.html which
provides an example for what you want to do.

This will still work in 0.7 when it is released, but we have a more
manageable solution in 0.7-dev, see plugins at the following urls:

http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/howto/howto-buildPlugin.html
http://forrest.apache.org/docs/dev/plugins/usingPlugins.html

Ross