forrest-user mailing list archives

From Arik Kfir <arikk...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:25:58 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Arik Kfir wrote:
>
>> Glen Tulukin wrote:
>>
>>> "Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
>>> based
>>> upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images
>>> and other
>>> resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content into a
>>> website
>>> via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. " -- it's on the
>>> forrest.apache.org. The word "documentation" is
>>> restrictive/confusing for a
>>> new commer. I am lucky to have Vadim Gritsenko in the next cubical
>>> (he is
>>> frequent contributor to Cocoon, if somebody does not know) who can
>>> explain
>>> that "Forrest is Cocoon plus three skins plus ready-to-use sitemap.
>>> Do with
>>> Forrest whatever you would do with Cocoon. People mainly use it for
>>> documentation and you are the first one I know who uses Forrest for
>>> _real_
>>> website generation."
>>>

>> Umm....well actually we use Forrest for *real* site generation. I'm
>> heading our Java technologies
>> team over at the Israeli AirForce and we maintain a site that
>> contains all the resources a Java developer
>> here needs (something like an aggregation of articles,
>> documentations, links, work procedures, how-tos,
>> etc).  We also implemented a continuous integration framework which
>> resembles Maven (only we did it
>> four years ago ;-)) which integrates nicely into Forrest too. We use
>> almost all Forrest features such as
>> skins, new DTDs/catalogs, and even integrated it with custom Java
>> Servlets code running in the same
>> web app (in addition to using it for static content).  Actually,
>> we're anxious for the plugin-concept to come
>> out...
>

> Wow - this sounds really cool.
>
> The plugin infrastructure is reasonably well defined at this stage. We
> have a number of plugins in 0.7-dev. If you would like to join us over
> on the dev list I would be more than happy to assist you with any
> plugins you want to build.
>
> Given you use case you may be interested in the (very new) logs
> plugin. This is a plugin for displaying the output of log files in a
> Forrest site. We use it to display the logs of the most recent
> integration builds. At the moment it only supports the J2SE logging
> format, but it's a relatively trivial thing to enable other formats.
>
> There is a How-To on building plugins, it's not available on the
> public site yet, but if you have the SVN version of Forrest you have
> it in your how-to directory. If not you can view the xdocs online at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/howto/howto-howto.xml

> Some more technical docs are available at:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/plugins/?rev=109331

> [...]
10x, I'll take a look at that, though I'll probably have a hard time
getting 0.7-dev into production use (we're already using 0.6 which is
"kinda beta" so using 0.7-dev is kinda "beta-of-beta" if you catch my
meaning ;-)

But we'll start playing with it so we'll be ready when it comes out.
It's too bad we can't provide a link for your example sites (we're an
offline site...)

cheers