forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:15:15 GMT
Arik Kfir wrote:
> Glen Tulukin wrote:
>
>> "Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework
>> based
>> upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and
>> other
>> resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content into a website
>> via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. " -- it's on the
>> forrest.apache.org. The word "documentation" is restrictive/confusing
>> for a
>> new commer. I am lucky to have Vadim Gritsenko in the next cubical (he is
>> frequent contributor to Cocoon, if somebody does not know) who can
>> explain
>> that "Forrest is Cocoon plus three skins plus ready-to-use sitemap. Do
>> with
>> Forrest whatever you would do with Cocoon. People mainly use it for
>> documentation and you are the first one I know who uses Forrest for
>> _real_
>> website generation."
>>

> Umm....well actually we use Forrest for *real* site generation. I'm
> heading our Java technologies
> team over at the Israeli AirForce and we maintain a site that contains
> all the resources a Java developer
> here needs (something like an aggregation of articles, documentations,
> links, work procedures, how-tos,
> etc).  We also implemented a continuous integration framework which
> resembles Maven (only we did it
> four years ago ;-)) which integrates nicely into Forrest too. We use
> almost all Forrest features such as
> skins, new DTDs/catalogs, and even integrated it with custom Java
> Servlets code running in the same
> web app (in addition to using it for static content).  Actually, we're
> anxious for the plugin-concept to come
> out...

Wow - this sounds really cool.

The plugin infrastructure is reasonably well defined at this stage. We
have a number of plugins in 0.7-dev. If you would like to join us over
on the dev list I would be more than happy to assist you with any
plugins you want to build.

Given you use case you may be interested in the (very new) logs plugin.
This is a plugin for displaying the output of log files in a Forrest
site. We use it to display the logs of the most recent integration
builds. At the moment it only supports the J2SE logging format, but it's
a relatively trivial thing to enable other formats.

There is a How-To on building plugins, it's not available on the public
site yet, but if you have the SVN version of Forrest you have it in your
how-to directory. If not you can view the xdocs online at:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/howto/howto-howto.xml

Some more technical docs are available at:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/forrest/trunk/docs-author/content/xdocs/plugins/?rev=109331

Ross