forrest-user mailing list archives

From Arik Kfir <arikk...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:21:51 GMT
Glen Tulukin wrote:

>"Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework based
>upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and other
>resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content into a website
>via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. " -- it's on the
>forrest.apache.org. The word "documentation" is restrictive/confusing for a
>new commer. I am lucky to have Vadim Gritsenko in the next cubical (he is
>frequent contributor to Cocoon, if somebody does not know) who can explain
>that "Forrest is Cocoon plus three skins plus ready-to-use sitemap. Do with
>Forrest whatever you would do with Cocoon. People mainly use it for
>documentation and you are the first one I know who uses Forrest for _real_
>website generation."

Umm....well actually we use Forrest for *real* site generation. I'm
heading our Java technologies
team over at the Israeli AirForce and we maintain a site that contains
all the resources a Java developer
here needs (something like an aggregation of articles, documentations,
links, work procedures, how-tos,
etc).  We also implemented a continuous integration framework which
resembles Maven (only we did it
four years ago ;-)) which integrates nicely into Forrest too. We use
almost all Forrest features such as
skins, new DTDs/catalogs, and even integrated it with custom Java
Servlets code running in the same
web app (in addition to using it for static content).  Actually, we're
anxious for the plugin-concept to come
out...

Just wanted to make ya Forrest devs feel proud ;-)

>Then welcome more patchers with more attractive product idea. I suggest to
>replace "documentation" with "content generation and management": "Apache
>Forrest is an XML standards-oriented ***content generation and management***
>framework based upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas,
>images and other resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content
>into a website via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. "
>
>Glen

Love it.

cheers ;-)