Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schaefer@uidesign.de>

11/03/2004 10:24 AM
Please respond to
user@forrest.apache.org

cc
Subject
Re: two general questions

Johannes - thanks!  But in answer to your question, I'm not sure if it helps me as I didn't fully follow it.

My Forrest is running under Tomcat, deployed as a Webapp, on server A.  My content is on a separate server (B), which the Tomcat server can see. Your procedure sounds like I should (among other steps) run Forrest seed to server B and load my content under it. ("do a 'forrest seed' there and create your content within that folder").  But I don't want to load other Forrest files on B, and my content is already created.  I just want to point from my Forrest web app on server A to a freestanding content directory on B by changing settings in my Forrest on server A, and am wondering which settings I have to change.

peter.dykstra@donovandata.com wrote:

I'm a publications director looking for content management strategies and have been having a lot of fun exploring Forrest -- personally I think it's a great advance. Thanks and congratulations to everyone who's helped (and is continuing to help) make it happen!

Two general questions:

1. Is there a way to use Forrest to publish a set of files that live in a separate place outside of Forrest? The forrest.properties file lets me change the directory names and structure, but only within the current 'forrest.home' context.  The cocoon.xconf settings let me override that and point to any location, but then I'm probably breaking lots of Forrest functions like search and site links.  Is there a safe, sanctioned way to keep my content repository in a whole separate place, even on a separate server, from the rest of a projects files?  I'm figuring others may have run into this question, since this is a central principle behind Cocoon.

I got it like this (Win XP)
* map a network drive to the forrest server, e.g. F: --> \\serverX\forrest
* set FORREST_:HOME accordingly
* map another drive to your content, e.g. G: --> \\serverY\
* store your content there, e.g. G:\myproject\
* do a 'forrest seed' there and create your content within that folder
* open a command window there from your local machine
* do 'forrest run'
* ah, Java is on my local machine
Result:  forrest runs on my local machine but it is stored on serverX, so that
everybody can use the same forrest (and I can update it in one place only).
Forrest picks up the content on serverY which is backed up regularily and
others can access the content, too.
Others can access my 'forrest run' by
http://mymachine:8888/.

BTW: I hope you're not committing the same error as I did in the beginning:
place your content below the forrest installation directory. Use 'forrest seed'
in a directory *somewhere* on your machine.

Is this of any help?
For #2 I haven't got an answer :-(

Cheers
Johannes

2. Where's the best place to direct questions about specific skins?  I've been having a problem with the Tigris skin and have sent two notes about it over the last month or two which no one seems to have picked up on.  If it appears to be a bug, for example, should I be sending to a separate list?

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction!

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825 München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de