forrest-user mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:46:14 GMT
Glen Tulukin wrote:
> "Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented documentation framework based
> upon Apache Cocoon, providing XSLT stylesheets and schemas, images and other
> resources. Forrest uses these to render the source content into a website
> via command-line, robot, or dynamic application. " -- it's on the
> forrest.apache.org. The word "documentation" is restrictive/confusing for a
> new commer. I am lucky to have Vadim Gritsenko in the next cubical (he is
> frequent contributor to Cocoon, if somebody does not know) who can explain
> that "Forrest is Cocoon plus three skins plus ready-to-use sitemap. Do with
> Forrest whatever you would do with Cocoon. People mainly use it for
> documentation and you are the first one I know who uses Forrest for _real_
> website generation."

The goal of Forrest is to make a documentation tool that separates
content from presentation, where by documentation we indicate any data
that is to be presented to the user, also (and ATM mainly) in website form.

I had never thought that "real" website generation was less restrictive
than documentation, as we tend to see the website as just one way of
presenting documentation, and the documentation as an aggregation of
diverse data sources.

Is the following better?

"Apache Forrest is an XML standards-oriented data, news and
documentation presentation framework based upon Apache Cocoon, that is
able to render complete and consistent websites, documents and reports
by keeping the content separate from the style."

Note that Forrest's goal is not to 'manage' the data, that's the goal of
Lenya :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -