forrest-user mailing list archives

From peter.dyks...@donovandata.com
Subject Re: two general questions
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 17:44:13 GMT
Johannes Schaefer <johannes.schaefer@uidesign.de>
11/03/2004 10:24 AM
Please respond to
user@forrest.apache.org

cc

Subject
Re: two general questions

Johannes - thanks!  But in answer to your question, I'm not sure if it
helps me as I didn't fully follow it.

My Forrest is running under Tomcat, deployed as a Webapp, on server A.  My
content is on a separate server (B), which the Tomcat server can see. Your
procedure sounds like I should (among other steps) run Forrest seed to
server B and load my content under it. ("do a 'forrest seed' there and
create your content within that folder").  But I don't want to load other
Forrest files on B, and my content is already created.  I just want to
point from my Forrest web app on server A to a freestanding content
directory on B by changing settings in my Forrest on server A, and am
wondering which settings I have to change.

peter.dykstra@donovandata.com wrote:

I'm a publications director looking for content management strategies and
have been having a lot of fun exploring Forrest -- personally I think it's
a great advance. Thanks and congratulations to everyone who's helped (and
is continuing to help) make it happen!

Two general questions:

1. Is there a way to use Forrest to publish a set of files that live in a
separate place outside of Forrest? The forrest.properties file lets me
change the directory names and structure, but only within the current
'forrest.home' context.  The cocoon.xconf settings let me override that
and point to any location, but then I'm probably breaking lots of Forrest
functions like search and site links.  Is there a safe, sanctioned way to
keep my content repository in a whole separate place, even on a separate
server, from the rest of a projects files?  I'm figuring others may have
run into this question, since this is a central principle behind Cocoon.

I got it like this (Win XP)
* map a network drive to the forrest server, e.g. F: --> \\serverX\forrest
* set FORREST_:HOME accordingly
* map another drive to your content, e.g. G: --> \\serverY\
* store your content there, e.g. G:\myproject\
* do a 'forrest seed' there and create your content within that folder
* open a command window there from your local machine
* do 'forrest run'
* ah, Java is on my local machine
Result:  forrest runs on my local machine but it is stored on serverX, so
that
everybody can use the same forrest (and I can update it in one place
only).
Forrest picks up the content on serverY which is backed up regularily and
others can access the content, too.
Others can access my 'forrest run' by http://mymachine:8888/.

BTW: I hope you're not committing the same error as I did in the
beginning:
place your content below the forrest installation directory. Use 'forrest
seed'
in a directory *somewhere* on your machine.

Is this of any help?
For #2 I haven't got an answer :-(

Cheers
Johannes

2. Where's the best place to direct questions about specific skins?  I've
been having a problem with the Tigris skin and have sent two notes about
it over the last month or two which no one seems to have picked up on.  If
it appears to be a bug, for example, should I be sending to a separate
list?

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction!

Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 * D-81825
München
www.uidesign.de

www.user-interface-tuning.de

Attraktivität von interaktiven Produkten messen mit
www.attrakdiff.de