forrest-user mailing list archives

From peter.dyks...@donovandata.com
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:16:56 GMT
> Thortsten Scherler wrote

> <snip>
> Yeah, we will drop the concept of skins in 0.7 and introduce
> forrest:templates (a new templating language).
> </snip>

While I love templates and so would applaud the introduction of any new
templating language, I am curious why this would replace skins.  Normally
I would have thought these are different and complementary concepts --
templates having more to do with the content and structure of information
(within pages, say, or of a navigational scheme) and skins with, well, the
skin.

Has any more been written or is there an ongoing discussion about this?  I
might like to participate, if there's that opportunity.

Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org>
11/29/2004 04:39 PM
Please respond to
user@forrest.apache.org

forrest user <user@forrest.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: commercial Forrest skins?

El lun, 29-11-2004 a las 16:13, THOMAS BENOIT escribió:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
<snip/>

> I don't think that commercial skins is an interesting concept.
> Graphic/Web designers prefer to work with clients and do something
> specific for him or her. Therefore commercial skins would not work.

If we may get some day a big project like httpd then I guess commercial
view/themes will come. Imagine you are not having the money to contract
a designer but you have some money to buy a view/theme. ;-)

> Though they are not bad, it would be very nice to improve the quality of
> the default skins!!

> The page template and the css could be improved to be more W3C
> compliant, etc, but it is not a big deal. Beside the layout could be
> improved, though it is, according to me, already pretty good.

Patches are always welcome. ;-)

> What I would like to see is CSS which are easy and fast to customize.
> Futhermore I would like to see XSLT code which is easier to customize,
> though it is not bad, don't get me wrong ;).
<snip />
> So my moto is more flexibility for CSS and XSLT code.

IMO designer hardly use XSLT. That is why we are introducing and "easy"
templating language "forrest:templates" that is extensible for people
with knowledge of xslt.

You can extend you forrest:view with your own implementation of
forrest:fbits (functionality). Use forrest:hooks for graphical container
and forrest:nuggets for content. Everything highly extensible and
plugable.

> Where can I have more information about the views/themes concepts?
> Thank you.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&w=2&r=1&s=forrest%3Atemplate&q=b

Search as well for:
leather, naming convention, fbits, nuggets, ...

> Thomas

HTH
--
thorsten