forrest-user mailing list archives

From peter.dyks...@donovandata.com
Subject Re: two general questions
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 19:17:40 GMT
1) I just mean there's a mapped drive from the Tomcat server (a mount
point actually) which I can specify so that so apps running under Tomcat
can read files from the other server.
2) yes, forrest.properties lets me change directories, but only (as far as
I can tell) within the current Forrest project.  If I put an absolute path
to an xdocs directory on another server, Forrest appends it to the current
context path and I get an error.

Dave Brondsema <dave@brondsema.net>
11/03/2004 01:50 PM
Please respond to
user@forrest.apache.org

user@forrest.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: two general questions

Quoting peter.dykstra@donovandata.com:

> Johannes - thanks!  But in answer to your question, I'm not sure if it
> helps me as I didn't fully follow it.
>
> My Forrest is running under Tomcat, deployed as a Webapp, on server A.
My
> content is on a separate server (B), which the Tomcat server can see.
Your

What do you mean the tomcat server can see it?

> procedure sounds like I should (among other steps) run Forrest seed to
> server B and load my content under it. ("do a 'forrest seed' there and
> create your content within that folder").  But I don't want to load
other
> Forrest files on B, and my content is already created.  I just want to
> point from my Forrest web app on server A to a freestanding content
> directory on B by changing settings in my Forrest on server A, and am
> wondering which settings I have to change.

If you're just talking about different directories, you can modify
properties in
your projects' forrest.properties file.

> peter.dykstra@donovandata.com wrote:
>
> I'm a publications director looking for content management strategies
and
> have been having a lot of fun exploring Forrest -- personally I think
it's
> a great advance. Thanks and congratulations to everyone who's helped
(and
> is continuing to help) make it happen!
>
> Two general questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to use Forrest to publish a set of files that live in
> separate place outside of Forrest? The forrest.properties file lets me
> change the directory names and structure, but only within the current
> 'forrest.home' context.  The cocoon.xconf settings let me override that
> and point to any location, but then I'm probably breaking lots of
Forrest
> functions like search and site links.  Is there a safe, sanctioned way
> keep my content repository in a whole separate place, even on a separate

> server, from the rest of a projects files?  I'm figuring others may have

> run into this question, since this is a central principle behind Cocoon.

> I got it like this (Win XP)
> * map a network drive to the forrest server, e.g. F: -->
\\serverX\forrest
> * set FORREST_:HOME accordingly
> * map another drive to your content, e.g. G: --> \\serverY\
> * store your content there, e.g. G:\myproject\
> * do a 'forrest seed' there and create your content within that folder
> * open a command window there from your local machine
> * do 'forrest run'
> * ah, Java is on my local machine
> Result:  forrest runs on my local machine but it is stored on serverX,
so
> that
> everybody can use the same forrest (and I can update it in one place
> only).
> Forrest picks up the content on serverY which is backed up regularily
and
> others can access the content, too.
> Others can access my 'forrest run' by http://mymachine:8888/.
>
> BTW: I hope you're not committing the same error as I did in the
> beginning:
> place your content below the forrest installation directory. Use
'forrest
> seed'
> in a directory *somewhere* on your machine.
>
> Is this of any help?
> For #2 I haven't got an answer :-(
>
> Cheers
> Johannes
>
> 2. Where's the best place to direct questions about specific skins? I've

> been having a problem with the Tigris skin and have sent two notes about

> it over the last month or two which no one seems to have picked up on.
If
> it appears to be a bug, for example, should I be sending to a separate
> list?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice/direction!
>

> --
> User Interface Design GmbH * Teinacher Str. 38 * D-71634 Ludwigsburg
> Fon +49 (0)7141 377 000 * Fax  +49 (0)7141 377 00-99
> Geschäftsstelle: User Interface Design GmbH * Lehrer-Götz-Weg 11 *
D-81825

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal