forrest-user mailing list archives

From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: Documentation of site.xml and tabs.xml wanted?
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:32:15 GMT
On Nov 5, 2004, at 12:18 AM, David Crossley wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>> As mentioned earlier, I'd like to participate in documenting Forrest
>> and the first project I'd like to work on is documenting the content
>> of tabs.xml und site.xml with a complete reference of elements and
>> attributes and plenty of examples.
>>
>> Would this be of any use?
>
> Yes.

I'll second that! Yes please!

> There is not much to describe because the element names
> are decided by the author. The site.xml is a free-format xml file.
> It does use certain attributes.
>
> The tab.xml does have a simple structure and a DTD to define it.

David means 'The tabs.xml...'

> It might be better to tweak the existing documentation
> that describes those files. Would you please find where
> these items are already described and suggest what needs
> to be enhanced. Perhaps they do need separate description.

I intend to add a complete *commented-out* (!) example in the actual
site.xml & tabs.xml files themselves (for those people A2RTFM--allergic
to reading manuals like myself). There is already loads of
documentation in those files, however I think a commented out version
might help...

NOTE-TO-SELF:
- Improve site.xml & tabs.xml files to include commented-out examples.

>> And if so, is anybody who understands
>> Forrest be willing to check my texts for accuracy and answer my
>> questions with respect to attributes and their purpose?
>
> Sure. Read existing docs and ask for clarification.
>
> Just add any contribution to the issue tracker.
>
> That way any developer can see try it. Committers
> can apply your changes and additions to the main docs,
> and tweak them to integrate.
>
> It is good to do things in small stages, rather than
> wait until a document is a finished product. Anyway,
> it is a community product, we all tweak each other's
> documentation contributions.
>
> Welcome.

erm.. that should be TWEAK(!) each other's documentation
contributions...

;-)

Web Maestro Clay
--