forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:26:46 GMT
THOMAS BENOIT wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>

>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>whether there

>>community>>think? Thanks.

<snip/>

> I don't think that commercial skins is an interesting concept.
> Graphic/Web designers prefer to work with clients and do something
> specific for him or her. Therefore commercial skins would not work.

At this time I would agree, but who knows what the future holds?

> Though they are not bad, it would be very nice to improve the quality of
> the default skins!!

patches welcome ;-)

<snip/>

> What I would like to see is CSS which are easy and fast to customize.

Over on the dev list there is much work on skins, now is the time to
make your opinion heard. DO you have any suggestions as to what
constitutes "easy and fast to customize"? Why is the current system not
suitable for your needs?

> Futhermore I would like to see XSLT code which is easier to customize,
> though it is not bad, don't get me wrong ;).

Again, what XSL do you want to customise and why is it not easy now?

> The goal would be that Web
> designer use XSLT to create more dynamic pages with modular information,
> like text boxes for instance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page ,
> http://www.k10k.net/ , http://www.fdtdesign.com/.)

You will be pleased to hear that Thorsten is working on just this kind
of idea. If you are interested search the archives for "functional bits"
and "fbits". The work is at an early stage but you can see it in SVN in
the plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.fbits

Ross