forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: modifying the css for forrest
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:56:08 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2004, at 3:33 PM, Linda Rose wrote:
 >
>> I've been very impressed by the example sites that have been created
>> using Forrest. I want to customize the look of mine. Can I modify
>> my-project\build\site\skin\basic.css?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Linda
>

> IIUC, anything in build/site (or build\site\ on Windows) is fair game to
> get clobbered when you do a /forrest/. For this reason, I tend to want
> to make changes in src/* somewhere (can a member of the Forrest Team
> confirm this?).

You are correct. You should *only* edit things in your src directory.

> Is it possible for you to make the necessary changes in the <extra-css/>
> portion of src/documentation/skinconf.xml?

In the skinconf.xml file it is possible to change most of the colours
used, there are quite a few examples coulour schemes in that file. If
you want to do more you can override classes, or even add new ones by
placing them in the <extra-css> tags in that same file (again there are
examples in the file).

You can also configure a fair bit of the layout of the site in the
skinconf.xml file. Read the comments in that file and play around.

> If not, you could also modify the .css files in the forrest/*/skin/.

No, you should not be editing the files in forrest/*/skin/ as these
changes will get overwritten whenver you upgrade to a newer version of
Forrest. Only ever edit things in your projects src directory.

You can, however, create your own skin in your src directory and edit
that one. See http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html#skins for
more info.

Ross