forrest-user mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: modifying the css for forrest
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 00:56:08 GMT
Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2004, at 3:33 PM, Linda Rose wrote:
>> I've been very impressed by the example sites that have been created
>> using Forrest. I want to customize the look of mine. Can I modify
>> my-project\build\site\skin\basic.css?
>> Thanks,
>> Linda
> IIUC, anything in build/site (or build\site\ on Windows) is fair game to
> get clobbered when you do a /forrest/. For this reason, I tend to want
> to make changes in src/* somewhere (can a member of the Forrest Team
> confirm this?).

You are correct. You should *only* edit things in your src directory.

> Is it possible for you to make the necessary changes in the <extra-css/>
> portion of src/documentation/skinconf.xml?

In the skinconf.xml file it is possible to change most of the colours
used, there are quite a few examples coulour schemes in that file. If
you want to do more you can override classes, or even add new ones by
placing them in the <extra-css> tags in that same file (again there are
examples in the file).

You can also configure a fair bit of the layout of the site in the
skinconf.xml file. Read the comments in that file and play around.

> If not, you could also modify the .css files in the forrest/*/skin/.

No, you should not be editing the files in forrest/*/skin/ as these
changes will get overwritten whenver you upgrade to a newer version of
Forrest. Only ever edit things in your projects src directory.

You can, however, create your own skin in your src directory and edit
that one. See for
more info.

View raw message