forrest-user mailing list archives

From "THOMAS BENOIT" <thomas.ben...@iecs.edu>
Subject Re: commercial Forrest skins?
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:13:02 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El jue, 25-11-2004 a las 22:28, Glen Tulukin escribió:
> >
> >>Several times I was asked by graphic artists and web designers
> whether there
> >>is a market for commercial Forrest skins. What does the Forrest
> community>>think? Thanks.
> >>

> > IMO no because we are still < 1.0. As well we are talking about
> > introducing the new concept of views/themes that will be second
> > generation skining for 0.7. That means mayor changes in how to
> create> the design for forrest. I reckon if we are fast enough the
> skin concept
> > will no be in 0.7 anymore.
> >
> > BTW I would like to see designer and graphic artist providing
> themes for
> > the new views in the future *free of charge* to give something
> back to
> > forrest. I personally would not *buy* a view and theme.
>
> And in the process be one of the first to understand the new theme
> +
> view concept and therefore be first to the market that *may*
> emerge
> (don't forget the ASF license is commercial friendly).
>
> > I think that we need more designer and graphic artist as
> developer here
> > in forrest. Please let your friends know that there are here very
> > welcome. ;-)
>
> +10000
>
> Ross

I don't think that commercial skins is an interesting concept.
Graphic/Web designers prefer to work with clients and do something
specific for him or her. Therefore commercial skins would not work.

Though they are not bad, it would be very nice to improve the quality of
the default skins!!
The page template and the css could be improved to be more W3C
compliant, etc, but it is not a big deal. Beside the layout could be
improved, though it is, according to me, already pretty good.
What I would like to see is CSS which are easy and fast to customize.
Futhermore I would like to see XSLT code which is easier to customize,
though it is not bad, don't get me wrong ;). The goal would be that Web
designer use XSLT to create more dynamic pages with modular information,
like text boxes for instance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page ,
http://www.k10k.net/ , http://www.fdtdesign.com/.) However, two level of
XSLT code are already differentiated; XSLT code that you can change and
the one your are not supposed to, I like this idea.
So my moto is more flexibility for CSS and XSLT code.
Where can I have more information about the views/themes concepts?
Thank you.

Thomas