forrest-user mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: ForrestBot: Capabilities?
Date Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:22:45 GMT
Quoting Ferdinand Soethe <sammler@soethe.net>:

> I'm sorry to admit that I read
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/forrestbot.html but still have not
> understood what forrestbot is capable of and how to configure it
> properly.

Please provide patches or simply new paragraphs or suggestions to help us
improve them.

> Can I use forrestbot to synchronize my local pages with my webserver
> that is only accessible by ftp?

Currently we do not have "deploy" workstage for ftp.  Are you familiar with ant
and it's <import> mechanism?  There is an FTP task in Ant (it's not listed on
ant.apache.org/manual unless you browse to Overview > Remote > FTP) so you could
write a workstage implementation for ftp.

If you do so, please provide a patch so we can include this ability.

> If so, does anybody have an example for the buildfile to look at (and
> come back with more questions ;-)

Look at forrestbot/core/deploy.xml to see how the other deploy workstages are done.

> If not, what other protocols are available to access an 'normal'
> commercial web host?

Typical web hosts probably only have ftp access.  Even though ftp is insecure,
it is very common and it would be good if we supported it.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal